1 cup yellow split peas
3 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 Tbsp. oil
1/ 2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. ginger
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 chopped tomatoes
2 medium onions, chopped
|1/2 cup split white gram beans (urad dal)
1/4 cup yellow moong beans (moong dal)
1/4 cup red lentils (masoor dal)
1/2 tsp. Indian chili pepper or 1 tsp. paprika
3-4 Tbsp. chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
1. Cook the lentils along with the ginger and salt (in the water) until they are soft (20-30 minutes).
2. In a separate saucepan, heat the oil and then add the cumin seeds. When the seeds begin to splutter, add the garlic and tomatoes and sauté for a few moments until they are more minute. Add the salt and other spices and stir well. Add the beans and the water they cooked in, and mix well. Let it cook for one minute.
3. Garnish with the cilantro and a dollop of plain yogurt (optional).
Lentil Soup with Beans and Rice – Serves 4-6.
This soup is a winter mainstay and a famous old
|Makhlouta 1 cup lentils
1 cup chick peas/garbanzo
1/2 cup black beans
1 cup rice
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup minced onions
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
5 cups water
Soak all beans, but not lentils, overnight. Pick over and wash.1. Fry onions in oil. Add caraway to fried onions. Set aside.
2. Cook beans and lentils together in large kettle with plenty of water.
3. When tender, add rice and continue simmering until rice is tender.
4. Finally, add onions. Simmer a few minutes more.
Garnish with parsley and a dollop of yogurt (optional).
|Egyptian Lentils 1 cup lentils
1 cup Elbow Macaroni
2 fresh chili or bell peppers
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 1/2 cup regular rice
3 Tbsp. oil
2 tomatoes chopped
1 large onion diced
1. Place lentils in a saucepan and cover by 1″ more of water. Turn heat to high, bring to a boil, turn down heat to simmer, and cook covered for 35 minutes or until tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add rice, turn down to simmer for 20 minutes and fluff up rice with a fork and add to lentils.
3. Boil 2 quarts of water, add elbow macaroni and cook until tender. Add to lentils.
In a small skillet add 1 Tbsp. of oil and sauté chopped peppers finely for 2 minutes. Add the tomato, 1/2 cup of water, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the lime juice. Fold this sauce into the lentils.
In another skillet heat 2 Tbsp. oil, add onions and sauté until brown. Garnish lentil mixture with the browned onions.
|Black Beans Cuban – serves 6 to eight
May be thinnned to make soup1 pound dried black beans soaked over-night
4 cups of water
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
ź pound salt pork, chopped (optional for vegetarians)
1 pound smoked ham hocks, cut in 1 inch pieces (optional for vegetarians. Vegetarians may add a few slices of bell-pepper and 1 tbsp of ginger paste)
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons dry roasted in a pan and then ground cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
4 cups water, chicken stock
˝ teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
Preparation1. Place black beans and water in large stock pot. Cover and boil. When the water starts boiling add the other ingredients except lemon juice. There should be enough water to just cover the beans, so if necessary add a bit or water.
2. Cover and simmer until the beans are tender, about 2 hours. Take out the hocks and remove the bones. Return the meat to the pot. Simmer long enough so beans are tender to soft and all seasonings are blended nicely.
3. Add the lime juice and garnish with cilantro.